[OM] Re: Converting fourthirds DOF to 35mm equivalent

Subject: [OM] Re: Converting fourthirds DOF to 35mm equivalent
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 15:49:43 +0100
David there is a freeware DOF calculator from Jonathan Sachs (developed of
Picture Window) here:

http://dl-c.com/Temp/downloads/DOF%20Calculator/Default.htm

I do not believe that DoF can be usefully discussed on a text list, but I
will quote the first line of Jonathan Sachs' helpfile for DoF Calculator:
"Depth of field does not depend on the frame size (e.g. 35mm, 6x7cm, digital
camera CCD,?). For a given focal length, the frame size does however affect
the field of view. The appropriate value for resolution (see below) may need
to be adjusted based on the frame size as well as the film or CCD resolving
power and other factors."

If that starting point does not fit your frame of reference, then another
possibility is Bob Atkins' contribution at
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/technical/depth_of_field_calc.html
which allows you to select your sensor size.

Good luck!

--
Piers