[OM] Re: Noisy, was The rattlesnake

Subject: [OM] Re: Noisy, was The rattlesnake
From: Marc Lawrence <montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 09:52:21 +1000
Andrew Fildes wrote:
> I used to feel like that but life's too short for birds and men and
> these are very polite.
> Just the occasional polite 'yip' to let you know that he's there/hungry.

On some forums I frequent, some people sign off with "NP:" followed by
whatever music is "Now Playing" or whatever they're currently listening
to. If I was to do that now, it would be the "yip"ping, from distances
as close as in the tree off the balcony to as far as across the road and
down the hill a bit, of Noisy Miners in discussion about the precise
boundaries of their territories. They get most vehement when they
discuss this with non-Noisy Miner varieties, no matter the size (though
they seem to be in some kind of truce with the local Butcher Birds).

It's funny, but of a morning when we walk the dogs, it's almost always
Oscar they swoop and clack past, rather than us or Maggie. He must put
out a "territorial" vibe or something.

Strangely, I've no pictures of Noisy Miners, though I've a nice shot of
a Common/Indian Myna. (Andrew, aren't they part of the Starling family,
rather than "corvine"?)

Cheers,
Marc
Noosa Heads, Oz