[OM] Re: D700 appears close if not here---buzz on DPR

Subject: [OM] Re: D700 appears close if not here---buzz on DPR
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 12:07:17 -0500

> A FF N*kon to compete with 5D.  Perhaps Canyon will speed its
> announcement of 5D MKII or whatever it is to be called.
> Digital film for Zuikos with live view is welcome.
> Mike

If this is true, Canon has real problems.  A 5D MkII (or 6D or whatever they
decide to call it this week) will be welcome to Canonites looking for the
next upgrade to the camera family, but it will not be the end-all, be-all,
competition-killer that the 5D was.  Look at the ho-hum attitude towards the
30D, 40D, even the 1D MkIII.  In fact, the 1DsMkIII is barely making a
ripple. At this point most everybody who was ever going to convert to Canon
has already done so.

Has digital finally reached a state of "Maturity"?  I believe so.  If this
is the case, then ANYTHING Nikon does will get the former Nikon users back
in the fold.  Over and over again you read and hear about people going Canon
because they had to, not because they wanted to.  These people are overjoyed
to finally be able to go back to Nikon where the ergonomics, flash and
lenses are better.  Overall IQ might still be the ballywick of Canon, but at
what point does it not matter anymore?

Then, look at the emerging markets, such as China.  Canon is strong
everywhere, but in China, a couple other companies that we've grown to know
and love, have matched that strength.  When the marketing is equal, does
Canon hold any real edge to the buyer?  Not really.

Now, if our buddies at Olympus were to introduce a full-frame digital
OM-4Ti------oooooooooohhhh.

AG