[OM] Re: [OT] VW Airbag System

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] VW Airbag System
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 13:03:30 -0500
WW wrote:
>What tires would you recommend?  The one it has now are 17in Good Year
Eagle RS-A 205/50.

The RS-A isn't my favorite.  I put those on my Audi A4 and wished I hadn't.
It is a very spongy tire with poor tracking characteristics and doesn't have
much grip at all. A more expensive tire, but one with MUCH better
performance all-around is the Eagle F1 All Season.  However, I know several
people with various Mazdas that won't put anything but Yokohamas on them.
You might want to look at the AVID H4s or V4s (speed ratings) for an
all-around 4-season tire and if your budget allows, the S-Drive will make a
believer out of you during those six weeks you don't get snow up there.
When I get my new (old) RX7 or RX8 in a few years, I'll be putting some
serious meats on it and my first choice is nothing less than a
Yokohama S.drive or ADVAN Sport.  (Yes, it will be a toy, not a daily
driver).  Personally, I feel that Mazdas and Yokes were made for each other.

>in the Jeep as soon as I get hands on one of thoz Mean Green
alternators...btw, speeking of shocks, the Jeep has >Rancho adjustable
ones...yes, with the remote system...:)

DUDE!

I just installed a set of Rancho RS5000s on my Jeep Grand Cherokee.  Didn't
do what I wanted it to do.  Next time, maybe I'll spring (pun intended) for
the adjustables.  However... My normal commute route is being resurfaced and
there are a few dozen "Local Traffic Only" gates on the two-lane road. With
the new shocks I'm doing serious slalom driving with the JGC.  I've got the
tires howling pretty good going around those gates at speed.  With the old
shocks (factory, 145000 miles), I had to saw the steering wheel pretty
agressively to keep from knocking the gates down--it's pretty spooky having
four tires all going different directions. These shocks just aren't tuned
right to the vehicle, though, and they don't handle dips and undulations in
the road surface very well.  But speed-bumps are no problem.  Wierd.

>Despite of the statistics, the worst drivers are in the state of Misery
IMHO.  There is one particular type of >offender...middle-aged man in a
minivan.  I saw once one of those passing another car at the stop sign...

Depends on where.  Northern Missouri the drivers all misread the speed-limit
signs and drive 10 MPH slower than posted.  There are some scary drivers.
Down south in Springfield, those drivers consider the posted speed-limits to
be "recommendations" during ice storms.

>Thoz tractors are monsters.  Do you have in Iowa tractor pulls at fairs?

Yes, but the competition tractors would probably bury themselves in 1/2 a
second in a real farmfield.

AG
http://www.zone-10.com