[OM] Re: Best Sensor Cleaning Product

Subject: [OM] Re: Best Sensor Cleaning Product
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 17:31:00 -0400
I was very nervous cleaning my sensor for the first time which was done
with a Rocket Blower,  PecPads and Eclipse.  It just made things worse
until I had been through three complete cleaning cycles.  When I was
done it still really wasn't clean but the spots didn't show up until
f/16.  Since I rarely shoot there I just let it go.

The next couple of cleanings were done with the dry brush method.  I was
a bit nervous on the first one but after I got done I realized it's a
piece of cake as long as the brushes are scrupulously cleaned before
hand.  Before I ever used the brushes I cleaned them with soap and water
and rinsed them with copious amounts of water.  After thorough drying
they were submitted to the filter test which showed no problems.  Since
then I haven't washed the brushes again.  I just rap them on the back of
a silverware knife blade as described in the instructions I posted and
use each of the two brushes to make a single swipe across the sensor.
Clean as a whistle and takes only a couple of minutes.  Between
cleanings I keep the brushes and the knife in a zip-lock plastic bag.
I'd say I've cleaned the sensor about every 9 months.  Not a frequent task.

Chuck Norcutt