[OM] Re: Best Sensor Cleaning Product

Subject: [OM] Re: Best Sensor Cleaning Product
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:14:22 -0400
What Swiffer product are you talking about?  When I first mentioned
Swiffer here for cleaning film before scanning I was talking about
Swiffer Dusters which look rather furry.  They don't come in "sheets".
I've long wanted to try a bit of the duster on the camera sensor just
like cleaning film but the dusters are coated with some unknown
chemicals which I can't be sure won't interact with the filter coatings
over the sensor.  The other problem is that cutting one releases lots of
small fibers which wouldn't do well on a sensor.  When using one for
film cleaning I meticulously vacuum it to remove the stray fibers before
use.

I have Pec-Pads and Eclipse but find them difficult to use and not
terribly effective.  They are truly the last resort and I think should
only be used for something that is "welded" onto the surface.  Also, be
aware that there are now two types of Eclipse.  The original Eclipse is
pure methanol and can damage some newer sensor filters which may be
coated with indium tin oxide.  That forced Photographic Solutions to
come out with a newer product called Eclipse 2.  Eclipse 2 is reportedly
mostly ethanol with a touch of methanol.  In any case I have found that
clean brushes work exceedingly well as outlined here.  I bought a pair
of women's makeup mask brushes from ebay, cleaned them thoroughly
according to the "filter test" mentioned in the link and they work
great.  Since the brushes are narrower than the sensor I make a swipe
down one side with one brush and the other side with the second brush.
These are plain, ordinary (but good quality) bristle brushes.  There is
no magic regarding static charges or other (expensive) nonsense.
<http://www.prime-junta.net/pont/How_to/a_Brush_Your_Sensor/a_Brush_Your_Sensor.html>
Click the link in the top right corner for the PDF if you prefer (I do).

Chuck Norcutt