[OM] Scanners - was Old and new Velvia 50

Subject: [OM] Scanners - was Old and new Velvia 50
From: Ralf Loi <ralf_loi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 13:21:43 +0200
<<
As to the scanning, the V700 is a mighty nice machine, but over time it
has
revealed a few "issues" when scanning high-contrast trannies.  Personally,
think the Nikon Coolscan V-ED is the best scanner in the price-range
currently available.  It is built like a tank and is speedy when batch
scanning.  I would definitely invest in either the Epson or Canon if I was
shooting medium/large format in addition to 35mm.  I don't know what
1800dpi
scanner you are currently using, but stepping up to the V-ED was a real
eye-opener for me.  When I need to pull every gram out of a slide, I'll do
multipass scan with Vuescan and there isn't anything left behind. The DMAX
of the V-ED is outstanding.  No shadow noise--period.

The only problem with the Nikon V is that it accepts only one slide at a
time, and I want also to scan a lot of older slides. Price aside, a 5000
would be a better option for me, but it is costly, so this is the reason
for the Epson that can do a batch of 12 mounted slides.

Ralf Loi