[OM] Re: T45 Flamethrowers

Subject: [OM] Re: T45 Flamethrowers
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 17:18:03 -0400
Ken,

I'm using mostly Tri-X in my Olympus cameras, but I use Tmax 3200 for night
stuff and other really low light work. I have a brick of Efke 100 in 35mm
too that I bought when I was in New Mexico and I have been using it some
too. It is gorgeous in Rodinal. I still have one roll of Ilford Pan-F left
in 35mm and I used to use it fairly often. I like the tonality of the Efke
better, but it is a little grainier than Pan-F.

Most of my work is actually done in medium format. I have a Mamiya 645 Super
that my father bought me 15 yrs ago when I was a senior in high school, and
I still use it regularly. I was recently given an old Hasselblad 500C and I
have been using it a lot lately since I like the square format for a lot of
stuff I shoot.

My medium format work is done with Ilford FP-4 Plus for daytime stuff, Fuji
Acros 100 for low light stuff, and Tri-X for portraits. I use acros for low
light stuff because it basically has no reciprocity failure. The tonality is
nice for low light scenes too. I like FP-4's tonality better for daylight
work. I use Rodinal 1+50 for Acros, Pan-F, Efke 100, and FP-4. I use D-76
1+1 for Tri-X and I use Tmax developer for Tmax 3200.

This was shot with Acros, 30 second exposure in the Hasselblad:
http://chriscrawfordphoto.com/fine_art/portfolio/waynedale/photopages/bf-spe
edway1.htm

This is Acros, 4 minute exposure! Mamiya 645.
http://chriscrawfordphoto.com/fine_art/portfolio/abandoned/photopages/barn-a
nd-chairs.htm

This is Efke 100 in the OM-4T:
http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com/fine_art/portfolio/abandoned/photopages/kn
oll-shack2.htm

This is Ilford FP-4 Plus in the Hasselblad:
http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com/fine_art/portfolio/abandoned/photopages/fe
ighner-farm1.htm

Most of my older work on my website was done with Tmax 100 and Tmax 400 but
I do not like the current formulations of those films. After spending the
last couple years playing with other films, I have settled on the ones
mentioned above. I had taken a couple yrs off from film to shoot all digital
but went back to film while I was in New Mexico. That's when my search for
new film to use began because I discovered that Tmax had changed for the
worse. Tmax 3200 is still nice though, just don't like the 100 and 400
anymore, they used to have finer grain and nicer tonality.

--
Chris Crawford
Photography & Graphic Design