[OM] Re: T45 Flamethrowers

Subject: [OM] Re: T45 Flamethrowers
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 08:53:41 -0500
I have three sets of RD616 units. You still get a LOT of false triggers when
you have two receivers in close proximity.  How close?  Well, usually, I do
a three-light portrait setup and can get away with it--but not always.
Anything closer than 3 meters will usually give me an occasional false
flash.  But in a previously mentioned venue, I've had one trigger another
with a spacing of 20 meters.

I myself will be looking for the 433 MHz antennas.  What an excellent idea.
I modified one of mine with a hoop of 12-gauge wire.  Works great, but
unfortunately, it ended up ripping the trace on the circuit-board.  My
feeble attempt to modify a second transmitter resulted in a hack-job worse
than a  I like Johann's configuration MUCH better.  I will do the same.

As to increase in distance, Chuck?  Well, under ideal conditions, I can get
the stock unit to reliably trigger up to 30 meters.  But in my testing, even
my jerryrigged unit gave me solid results up to 100 meters.  Probably
farther, but my neighborhood didn't have a straight street long-enough to
verify.

Now for the really bad news.  The 16-channels are effectively 1 channel.  I
have tried changing the channel on my transmitters to build "groups" of
flashes or something as simple as changing the channel to disable the
external flashes without having to disconnect the transmitter from the
camera.  Changing channel assignments is no guarantee of channel isolation.
I fought this at a big event recently and finally got so frustrated that I
ended up just removing the transmitter most of the time.

Quote from "The Birds":  "Why are they doing this? Why are they doing this?
They said when you got here, the whole thing started. Who are you? What are
you? Where did you come from? I think you're the cause of all this. I think
you're evil! EVIL!" - Doreen Lang

AG
http://www.zone-10.com