[OM] Re: canon 5d manual focus lenses which work well/poorly?

Subject: [OM] Re: canon 5d manual focus lenses which work well/poorly?
From: Andrew Wiese <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 14:51:10 -0700 (PDT)

I have a 5D, a few Zuikos and a few Cannon lenses, so I'll throw in my two
eurocents:

It depends.  That was easy, wasn't it?

Seriously, though - what kind of photography do you do?  Judging from your
enviable collection of shift and macro gear, I'm guessing focussing speed
might not be of ultimate importance for you.  In which case, go for it, get
the 5D and the adapter.  If you need to focus quickly, shooting reportage
for example, the AF confirmation light isn't much help, whether you're using
an EF or an OM lens; believe me, I've tried.  I've put an adapted Ec-L split
image focussing screen (actually for Cannon 1 series cameras) in my 5D, not
just for Zuikos, but for focussing EF lenses in available dark situations,
too.  I'm guessing that if you're generally shooting static subjects, you'll
get plenty of use out of lots of your kit, but probably want to ditch the MF
zooms for consumer Cannons or pro Tamrons, or something.

I've used the Zuiko 35/2 to shoot street, and the 100/2 in the studio, the
former set to 2.5-3 metres at f/11, the latter focussing wide open on a
tripod and then stopping down.  They both work very well, and I've got
portfolio candidates from both.  And I'm going to sell the 100/2 and have
just bought a Cannon 35/2.  Why?  Because in the studio, I don't want to be
permanently tethered to a tripod, I want to move, and that means
refocussing, which is a major hassle if you have to open up the aperture,
focus, and close down to the right aperture again, taking your eye from the
viewfinder.  Not good.  And on the street, I sometimes want to refocus on
something out of hyperfocal range, and that's the same procedure -- I may
miss the shot.  My Zuiko 24/2 is still in my shooting kit, though - for me,
focus is less critical with it in many situations, and in the others, I
generally have time.

If landscape, still-life, and macro were my thing, I would probably only
keep two Cannons, the 50/1.4 and 200/2.8.  It's going to be physically
painful to part with my Zuiko 100/2, and the rest of my OM kit will have to
be pried from my cold, dead fingers.  I picked up my 2n yesterday after
using the 5D exclusively for 3 months now, and it again had me praying for
full frame chip mod...  focussing is still so much easier with it and a 1-13
screen than the 5D with an Ec-L, though that combo does work extremely well.
I guess I could trade both my kidneys for a Leica M8 and a lens.

Andrew.