[OM] Re: canon 5d manual focus lenses which work well/poorly?

Subject: [OM] Re: canon 5d manual focus lenses which work well/poorly?
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 10:44:26 -0400
At 09:34 AM 6/15/2007, James King wrote:

>I am interested in peoples experiences with
>the canon 5d with manual focus lenses especially the following:

Hi James,

I'm sure that you already know this but:

1.  With the adapters you'll need to meter/compose with the lens wide
open and then manually stop down to take the shot.
2.  With the adapter the camera's metering will no longer be accurate
except when the lens is wide open.  It will be as much as a full stop
off by f8/f11.  It will be pretty consistent though with a given
lens/f stop so you can learn to compensate.
3.  Focusing can be a problem for some people - it is for me.  I've
tried various fixes including "focus confirm adapters" and optional
Canon screens but I got my best results using a Brightscreen split
image screen and the right angle finder with the magnification bumped up.

I personally found the gains using manual focus lenses on the 5D not
to be worth the hassle.  Some people differ though so I believe that
the only way you can be sure that it will work for you is to try it.

Later,
Johnny

Johnny Johnson
Cleveland, GA