[OM] Re: OM -> EOS focus confirm adapter

Subject: [OM] Re: OM -> EOS focus confirm adapter
From: James King <jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 14:19:59 +0100

Mike Lees wrote:

> Has anyone any recent experience with these gadgets?
>
> <http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AF-Confirm-Olympus-OM-lens-to-Canon-EOS-camera-adapter_W0QQitemZ170120675570QQihZ007QQcategoryZ30059QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>
>
> If I remember correctly someone on the list had a poor experience with
> something similar - have they improved any?
>
> Any opinions on this seller?

I just brought one a little under a week ago.
I don't actually own a digital camera but I tried it briefly (30 mins or
so inside a room) with a collegues canon 400d and my tamron sp 90mm f2.5
manual focus adaptal 2 lens. The adapter: firstly there is a screw which
mates with the lever that stops then lens down. the screw on mine was
not quite in the right place to move the stop down leaver all the way.
Under f16 or f22 the apature closes correctlybut stop down to f32 and
the appature does not close down firther. moving the leaver with a
finger nail a little more correctly closes at f32. So I bent the screw a
little and now it works fine. So check this out I guess it could be a
problem with all the adapaters af confirm or not. So a little diy was
needed but nothing major.

To get the auto focus confirmation to work you need to focus wide open
and rotate the focusing ring *very* slowly. A few experiments suggest
that the focus confirmation stops working around f5.6. So I doubt if it
would work with a f8 500mm mirror lens for example.

If you rotate the focusing ring at normal manual focusing speeds you
will never see the focus confirmation light go on at all. I did this to
begin with and almost sent the adapter back saying it did not work. I
found the easiest thing to do was focus looking at the focusing screen
and then fine tune slowly looking for the autofocus conformation light
and beep.

On the 400d the amount you can turn the focusing ring each way and still
get the confirmation light on is tiny with the tamron 90mm (I did not
try any other lenses). From my limited experiences (assuming it is
actually accurate) the AF confirm is better and more sensitive than
trying to focus with the 400ds standard screen. The screen just does not
snap into focus whereas on my om4ti with a olympus screen or beattie
screen the 90mm *really* snaps.

Essentially the adapter says that its a f2.0 Canon autofocus ef series
lens set to manual focus
Hope this helps a little
James