[OM] Re: Don't cry, just do it! [was Velvia 50 replacement]

Subject: [OM] Re: Don't cry, just do it! [was Velvia 50 replacement]
From: Richard Lovison <rlovison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 15:11:02 -0400
Manuel Viet wrote:

> Canon has an history of forgetting to update drivers between windows
> revisions, so that you have a choice between waiting 3 months after upgrading
> your OS before you can print anything, or immediately buying the new model of
> printer, so much better than the old one (come on, don't tell me you didn't
> notice the on/off switch changing from black to silver, did you ?). Is it
> freedom ? Maybe in the Cuban or Chinese sense, but that doesn't match my
> standards. Plus, I bought long ago (before turning an opensource advocate) a
> couple of really lousy canon printers, some even lacking screws or nuts, so I
> had already banned them from my buying list before I installed my first
> Linux.

There isn't a printer manufacturer out there that doesn't take the
consumer to the cleaners with the cost of their consumables (ink, toner,
drums). I feel that none of them are saints and none of them pure
evil... they're a bit of both as we all seem to be.  I choose what works
for me. I had a bad experience with an Eps*n and nothing but bliss with
my current Can*n.  In the future, I might own another Eps*n.

  > ufraw and dcraw both support the e1. take a look at the advanced
options of
> dcraw, it's the best thing since slice bread invention. I certainly wouldn't
> limit myself to manufacturer provided software, sometimes 3rd party soft can
> unlock unknown potentialities (or reveal dirty flaws otherwise kept under
> lock).

I don't limit myself to manufacturer software either... I choose what
works for me. :) I'll take a look at dcraw.

I was a staunch Linux, open source advocate in the past.  I lightened up
after I realized I was acting like a crazed religious fanatic, not
seeing the many shades of grey, only black and white.

I was watching the movie Cold Mountain two nights ago.  There was a
scene where the Cold Mountain residents were in church together, singing
enthusiastically to their God of peace and love.  Someone came in
announcing that "we finally got our war".  Most of the men jumped up in
exuberance.  Yeah, whoopee.  I watched in horror the battle portrayed on
the screen and wondered how many more times we would have to go through
that nightmare.  These days I seem to be an advocate for nothing... it's
difficult enough just trying to move through life doing what I love.

Richard
--
Nature's Luminance
http://bcn.net/~rlovison/index.html