[OM] Re: Don't cry, just do it! [was Velvia 50 replacement]

Subject: [OM] Re: Don't cry, just do it! [was Velvia 50 replacement]
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 00:03:25 +0200
Le dimanche 10 Juin 2007 13:53, Richard Lovison a écrit :

> At the present I use xcalib and my profile.icm created by my spyder in
> winxp to calibrate my monitor in Linux.  At least now I know that what I'm
> viewing on the web is close to how it should appear.

Little cms is of course able to use 'alien' profiles, too.

> I found I had to jump through too many hoops in Linux to process and print
> my photography.  My attempt to find drivers for my Canon i960 produced
> numerous headaches and I prefer CS2 over GIMP.

Being a heavy linux user since 1997, I tend to pick only known compatible
hardware to avoid this kind of struggle. Why would I support with my wallet
people who obviously have no desire to sell good standard devices ? Is it so
complicated to embed a postscript engine, or at least a HP lj engine ? There
are plenty of manufacturers already offering that (xerox, brother...), no
need to help those too lazy to provide service for me, and too greedy to at
least document enough of their hardware so that someone can manage to make
something out of it.

As of the Gimp, you can't really compare it to CS2 ; maybe compare it to
Elements for fairness, but The Gimp aims are very different from Adobe's.
While to some extent The Gimp can be used in a photographic context, it
doesn't know about profiles nor color spaces - yet. Neither can it deal with
16 bits images. This is scheduled to happen in the next v.3 release. The main
aim of the gimp (and the area where it shines best) is web design. You can
program complex designs of logos, buttons, banners, in a couple of clicks.

If you need photographic mindset in a software on Linux, you'd feel better
with Krita (part of Koffice). Krita is based on layers, color channels, color
spaces and profiles. It has DSLR native raw import facilities, and works in
16 bits mode inside before eventually producing a 8 bit jpeg.

> Quite simply, my workflow
> is effortless in xp compared to what it would be in Linux.

Effort is the essence of freedom ;-) Tongue-in-cheek appart, the setup needs a
bit of computer and linux knowledge, but once done, it becomes completely
transparent. For instance, to tweak my pictures on a single shot basis, I can
use ufraw to convert from raw to 16 bits tiff with visual feedback, but if I
have a number of close enough shots, I can script dcraw with the values found
in ufraw on the first one to batch a whole session. Very convenient. (nb :
dcraw exists for windows and mac os x too, check it, you might like it).

--
Manuel Viet