[OM] Re: Don't cry, just do it! [was Velvia 50 replacement]

Subject: [OM] Re: Don't cry, just do it! [was Velvia 50 replacement]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 21:06:06 -0700
Joel Wilcox wrote:

> Based on some private email with Ed Hamrick that I had a while back,
> it sounds to me as though you are doing it precisely the correct way.

Of course!  ;-)   As usual with VueScan, I futzed around with it until I
got it to do what I wanted and was happy with the results. I have gone
to Ed a couple of timew over the years when I couldn'tget what I wanted.
His involvement and responsiveness are amazing.
> He told me that scanner profiling is really only relevant for
> transparencies.  Since you are attempting to profile for color
> negative, scanner profiling is not germane, at least as Vuescan is
> intended to be used.
>
> There are a couple things that bug me about Vuescan and the profiles
> it builds and uses though.  You still have to select the film
> family/type and use it with the film you have profiled.
Huh. I have just assumed that specifying a profile would override the
more generic setting. But I tend to set the film anyway, so maybe that's
why I don't think it's necessary?   :-P   One thing I've learned about
VueScan is that it will sometimes change settings based on other
settings in ways that are non-intuitive to me. Most troubles I've had
with scans have been traceable to not checking and making every setting.
> This makes no sense to me, since the film family/type is already a profile of
> sort.
I sure agree with you there.
> I complained about this to Ed and he agreed, though he didn't
> promise to fix this in the next version.  I'm not sure what he's
> working on these days, but I doubt scanner and film profiling is high
> on the list.
>
> I also can't believe that little old me is the only one to have
> thought of this, but by his response he seemed to indicate that I was.

I thought about it, but assumed as above.
> Documentation/help is not as great as it might be.  You have to kind
> of wing it.  I don't mean to complain about Ed Hamrick.   Not everyone
> receives every good gift.  I think he knows his documentation is thin.

Yeah, there are a few key things in there, but a lot missing.
> Nevertheless, profiling color negative film in Vuescan is a great way
> to go.  Highly recommended.
Absolutely!
> I managed it using one of those 5x7 targets purchased from Adorama:
>
> http://www.adorama.com/IKKIT857.html?searchinfo=it8%20target&item_no=3

Those from Wolf Faust are equal quality and much cheaper. 5x7 flimsy
like the Kodak is $20 delivered; the Kodak is $30 delivered from
Adorama. Bigger selection, too. Air mail delivery is quicker to Calif.
than ground from Adorama. Wolf's larger, stiff, matte finish target for
cameras is much easier to se than the 5x7, which is aimed mainly at
flatbed scanners. I bought the 5x7, then later upgraded to one that
doesn't curl in the sun and doesn't have reflection problems.

Moose