[OM] Re: Don't cry, just do it! [was Velvia 50 replacement]

Subject: [OM] Re: Don't cry, just do it! [was Velvia 50 replacement]
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 07:11:29 -0500
On 6/10/07, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> One thing I've learned about
> VueScan is that it will sometimes change settings based on other
> settings in ways that are non-intuitive to me. Most troubles I've had
> with scans have been traceable to not checking and making every setting.

I know what you mean.  I have created a startup "ini" file to load for
each profile I've built.  If that was the one I was using when I quit
Vuescan previously, the vuescan.ini file should match it.  But some
sort of confusion often happens and I usually try to remember to
delete the vuescan.ini file before loading my profile.ini file.  Or
just start over tweaking the settings.

My most common issue is that I will occasionally have a spate of scans
in which the preview looks good but the scan itself is way off ugly.
Close down and start over.  Ever happen to you?

> > I managed it using one of those 5x7 targets purchased from Adorama:
> >
> > http://www.adorama.com/IKKIT857.html?searchinfo=it8%20target&item_no=3
> >
> Those from Wolf Faust are equal quality and much cheaper. 5x7 flimsy
> like the Kodak is $20 delivered; the Kodak is $30 delivered from
> Adorama. Bigger selection, too. Air mail delivery is quicker to Calif.
> than ground from Adorama. Wolf's larger, stiff, matte finish target for
> cameras is much easier to se than the 5x7, which is aimed mainly at
> flatbed scanners. I bought the 5x7, then later upgraded to one that
> doesn't curl in the sun and doesn't have reflection problems.

Yes, I shouldn't have posted the link without also posting some
reservations about using it.  I won't buy the Wolf Faust one now that
I have the other and know how to use it, but bigger would be better
and a different surface type would also be better.

Joel W.