[OM] Re: Don't cry, just do it! [was Velvia 50 replacement]

Subject: [OM] Re: Don't cry, just do it! [was Velvia 50 replacement]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 02:25:28 -0700
Manuel Viet wrote:
> Le dimanche 10 Juin 2007 06:44, Moose a écrit :
>

>> The other thing you need is software to look at the scan of the shot of
>> the IT8 target and build the profile. VueScan is the only one I know.
>>

> As I'm dwelving into profiles at the moment, and especially profiles in linux
> applications, I take that opportunity to speak about my preliminary findings.
> Like in many other fields, linux is quite apt at dealing ...... What's
> absolutely magic with lprof is that you can use it to associate a profile
> with every device you think about, be it an input device or a viewer device
> (and with tweakings, an output device : print a color corrected IT8 image,
> and then re-scan the print to know how far you printer drifts from standard).

VueScan will also do this color profiling of printers for those of us so
unadventurous as to be using Windoze. Other apps will do it too, but for
much more money.

First, you have to profile the scanner with IT8 reflective target and
make a profile for it. Then you have VueScan send an IT8 target to your
printer, scan it in and make a printer icc profile. Pretty easy.

The thing with printer profiles is that they are ink and paper specific,
so one may end up with quite a few. Really careful people re-profile
with each new ink and each new batch of any paper, to correct for
manufacturing variations.

Moose