[OM] Re: Don't cry, just do it! [was Velvia 50 replacement]

Subject: [OM] Re: Don't cry, just do it! [was Velvia 50 replacement]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2007 21:44:05 -0700
Michael Wong wrote:
> Moose,
> Pls forgive me I'm not a clever man. Would you please describe more?
> 1) Where may I buy a hardware of IT8 target?
The best, and cheap, source is a fellow in Germany, Wolf Faust:
http://www.targets.coloraid.de/ He is very efficient in responding to
internet orders. For film, I recommend the C1 target. The smaller size
of the R1 is fine, but the reflective surface and lack of a stiff
backing make it harder to use.

The other thing you need is software to look at the scan of the shot of
the IT8 target and build the profile. VueScan is the only one I know.
I'm sure there must be others, but it is what I use for scanning anyway.
Hmmm. Come to think of it,  I suppose you could scan the frame and save
the scan, if there is a way in NikonScan to do that with no color
adjustment at all, just the raw scan. Then send it to me and I could
make a profile. Might work.
<http://www.targets.coloraid.de/>
> I'm worry that if I D/L IT8 target from internet & print out, there maybe a
> chance that the
> color is shift.

It sure will be wrong that way. See, you are pretty clever! In fact,
when you buy an IT8 target, it comes with a CD with a file defining the
difference between the printed target and ideal colors because even with
great care, it's not possible to print a perfect target, so each batch
is measured.
> 2) Is there the profile of different films to download?

Somebody here started a profile library, but I don't think it went
anywhere. I have profiles for a few films that you are welcome to. It
won't be perfect, as neither of our film scanners are profiled, but
should be pretty good. I have profiles for Kodak Gold 200 and 400-3,
Portra 160NC, Supra 800 and Agfa Vista 200 (The film GeeBee uses for his
landscapes.) I have a roll of Kodak High Definition 400 with an IT8 shot
on it in an OM-1 waiting for me to stop playing with computers and
finish the roll. And Kodak New Portras waiting to be next.
> 3) Do I calibrate my monitor by IT8 target & apply the monitor profile
> in Nikon Scan? I have calibrated my monitor with Spyder 2 Pro, is it
> conflicted?

Just use the Spyder 2 Pro profile. Profiling without a hardware device
to measure the monitor is always poorer. Software that uses a hardware
measuring device looks different tan IT8, but does the same thing.

Moose