[OM] Re: Don't cry, just do it! [was Velvia 50 replacement]

Subject: [OM] Re: Don't cry, just do it! [was Velvia 50 replacement]
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 11:19:42 +0200
Le dimanche 10 Juin 2007 06:44, Moose a écrit :

> The other thing you need is software to look at the scan of the shot of
> the IT8 target and build the profile. VueScan is the only one I know.

As I'm dwelving into profiles at the moment, and especially profiles in linux
applications, I take that opportunity to speak about my preliminary findings.
Like in many other fields, linux is quite apt at dealing with colorimetry. As
always, solutions are much more patchy than apple's or even windows'
counterparts. Most of profile creation and use relies on a library called
lcms that other applications can embed to add true color support for the
user. Calibrating (making various profiles for lcms) is done via a brilliant
software called 'lprof' that knows about everything there is to know, not
only how to make sense of hardware profilers such as spyders, but also of IT8
charts and associated correction files. What's absolutely magic with lprof is
that you can use it to associate a profile with every device you think about,
be it an input device or a viewer device (and with tweakings, an output
device : print a color corrected IT8 image, and then re-scan the print to
know how far you printer drifts from standard).

Then you can use those profiles in all applications that are aware of them,
like krita. Set the input icc, the working color space, the viewing icc and
the ouptut icc, and presto ! you've got a calibrated workflow. Not too shaby,
when you think of the price asked by professionals offering to build profiles
for you. Of course, they have to buy much more precise equipement, but for a
good amateur usage, lcms is already very efficient.

--
Manuel Viet