[OM] Re: Ornery mood

Subject: [OM] Re: Ornery mood
From: Garth <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 08:01:14 -0700
AG Schnozz wrote:

[snip]

> Now hold on just a cotton-picken moment.  What would a
> Microdrive (approved by Olympus BTW) have anything to do with
> it?  The thing might be boat slow, but it's been great.

It's not the microdrive per se, but the difference in the way the media
can (or can not) be set to read-only *globally*.  As far as I'm aware,
that's perfectly possible for a hard drive.  Unlike a CF card.  (In
fact, there are stories of people who accidentally set their boot drive
on a PC to read-only and then find that, next time they start their PC,
can't get it to boot...)

> Seems like the OS in the camera should be able to handle it just
> fine.  I'd hate to think that the OS system is that sensitive to
> throughput rates.  If so, I'm going to start rethinking my plans
> on going 100% digital.

It's the media, not the camera's OS, that concerns me.

Garth