[OM] Re: OT - you audio guys - any experience with EV Interface A's?

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - you audio guys - any experience with EV Interface A's?
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 07:04:08 -0800 (PST)
> I googled and came up pretty dry except for a couple of random
> "These are the best speakers I have ever heard."

It's been a long time since I've seen and heard this speaker.
Most, if not all, of the EV's of that vintage have been flushed
out of the system as far as professional use.  The biggest
problem I have with that design of speaker is phase-coherence.
The multiple speaker design was very '70's-ish and had two
primary problems:  Phase-coherency and dampening.  To get the
best possible sound out of them, you really need a strong
amplifier and heavy-guage wire.

The job of an amplifier is two-fold:  1. Move the Coil. 2. Stop
the Coil.  These speakers, on an underpowered amplifier will
bounce like a '72 Fairlane with dead shocks.  You'll end up
chasing EQ on the mix like a drunken DJ.

A friend of mine up in Michigan had this or a similar model in
his studio and they were mighty fine, but he also had a rack of
tube amps driving the whole thing too.

> I can get replacement surround kits from a number of places.
> Anyone here heard these in person?  Will it be worth my
> time?  Or did they sound really good in the context of the
> time they were produced and they won't
> hold up to modern boxes, like my Event studio monitors?

I suspect that the sound from them will be more representative
of the average sound-system.  It never hurts to have more than
one or two pairs of speakers for comparison reasons.  But I
definitely wouldn't use them for mixing on.

'course, I'm a Yammy and Tannoy kind of guy, so take this with a
grain of salt.

AG

Sponsored Link

Compare mortgage rates for today.