[OM] Re: Ornery mood

Subject: [OM] Re: Ornery mood
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 10:49:53 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 16 Nov 2006, Garth wrote:

> It's not the microdrive per se, but the difference in the way the media
> can (or can not) be set to read-only *globally*.  As far as I'm aware,
> that's perfectly possible for a hard drive.  Unlike a CF card.

Flash chips usually allow for at least some of the sectors to be marked as
locked (read-only).  How many sectors and how this is accomplished is chip
dependent and requires following the programming interface for the chip.
I have no idea if CF cards take advantage of this but it would be possible
for the CF microcontroller to lock the flash chips so that they can't be
written to.
                                                -mark