[OM] Re: Opinions: Small Digital Point-and-Shoot

Subject: [OM] Re: Opinions: Small Digital Point-and-Shoot
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 15:59:21 -0700
ScottGee1 wrote:
> James, you might want to further define what you mean by "very clean
> images up to ISO 400".
>
> >From what I've seen, that simply does NOT exist in a digital P&S that
> I would want to buy.  As mentioned already, the Fuji F10 does a pretty
> good job with noise suppression
Up to 400, I would not use the term noise suppression, as that implies a
loss of detail to noise reduction processing, and I just don't see that
in the F10. At 800, there is an increase in noise, althouhg at that
point it's no more than most small P&S cameras at 200. I suppose there
may be some loss in detail, but I just don't see it. At 1600, there is a
definite loss of detail. However, remember this is a 6mp image, and that
loss that can be seen at full pixel on a monitor just doesn't come in to
play for the vast majority of display options.
> but it doesn't have an optical viewfinder.

In a way, that is a bummer. On the other hand, the viewfinders on the
little P&Ss are really pathetic. They only show part of the image that
will be captured, (I seem to recall one with reported coverage of 60%!)
and which part they show isn't consistent because it varies with zoom,
as their zooming isn't well coordinated with the taking lens zoom, and
with subject distance, as there is no parallax correction. I worried
about that a bit when considering the F10, but when I realized that I
hadn't used the viewfinder on my S110 in ages, I stopped worrying about it.
> I still carry and enjoy my Contax T3 and will until a manufacturer
> resolves the small sensor noise issue.  That assumes someone will do
> so eventually.

Well, I think Fuji has, at least in my practical experience, and I'm
fussy about noise. I have a 5D, and still find the F10 noise performance
to be good. If Fuji's promise that the F30 improves on the F10/11 proves
to be true, they really will have done it.

The problem is, I think the optical viewfinder in compact cameras is a
thing of the past, so I'm not sure the camera you want will ever be
made. I've been thinking about the old wire frame viewfinders on folding
120/220 cameras and how to rig up a simple one for the F10. So far, I
haven't thought up a way that isn't impossibly clumsy. If I can't carry
it around in the belt case, and need some other contraption, I might
just as well carry the 5D.

Moose