[OM] Re: Opinions: Small Digital Point-and-Shoot

Subject: [OM] Re: Opinions: Small Digital Point-and-Shoot
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 14:40:52 -0500
On 6/11/06, james olson <james_olson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi, I've recently purchased an Olympus C-7070 for my wife, which she isn't
> quite happy with.  She wants something a bit smaller, and something that
> focuses quicker in low light.
>
> Does anyone have a P/S camera that they think is great?  I'd just like very
> clean images up to ISO 400, a wide, fast lens, and not much else.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated,
>
> James.

Do you have the focus assist feature turned on?  It's pretty much
essential for low-light.  And one must expect to take a little time to
allow the thing to work.  Just a thought.

Is the C-7070 a WZ (wide zoom)?  I don't think any of the smaller
digicams is really as wide.  They're about =35mm at the short end at
the widest.

My favorite small digicam at the moment is the Olympus C-7000, which
might seem to be a predecessor to the C-7070, but they're nothing
alike.  It's just a smidgeon larger than a Stylus.  You would have to
see if you can find a refurb at this point.  It's just an amazing
camera.  I have barely got the grasp of all it's features, which
include multi-spot metering, for example, complete manual operation,
and switchable AE and AF lock.  7.1 MP sensor and 5x optical zoom.
(Not a very wide zoom however, and the flash is powerless.)  Shoots
RAW too.  You might appreciate all its features, but maybe not the
wife -- dunno.  But you can find one for about $200, which I find to
be remarkable value.

Stylus Verve models are getting harder to find and priced accordingly.
 They are extremely small and cool.  My daughter has one of these and
loves it.  My wife's Stylus 400 is larger, but still quite small.
Focus is quick and sure.  Styluses more recent than the 400 no longer
have an optical viewfinder I think -- should that matter.

If you check dpreview for one of these models, you can often see what
comparable models from the other manufacturers line up with them.
Low-light focus speed is a intensely competitive item among all these
reviews.  Olympus never comes out on top in contests of focus speed,
so you have to assess how good is good enough and factor it in along
with your feeling for the value of the total package.  Image quality,
the sine qua non, is usually very high with Olympus, which makes these
decisions complex.  If you wife demands the absolute best in low-light
focus speed, you may have to venture to a different marque.

Hope something here helps.

Joel W.