[OM] Re: Opinions: Small Digital Point-and-Shoot

Subject: [OM] Re: Opinions: Small Digital Point-and-Shoot
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 10:38:02 +1000
I was impressed by the Leica D-Lux 2 because it is wide - the 16:9
widescreen format is not produced by cropping but is the native
format so the nominally 28mm lens is more like 24mm when that format
is selected. Really nice for landscapes. There is a slightly cheaper
Panasonic version which may be better as it actually has a finger
grip to 'spoil' the clean design lines.
However, while it is very sharp and clean at low ISO, it has the
classic Panasonic noisiness higher up.
I concur on the S80 - nice unit.
AFAIK there isn't a real P&S on the market which isn't a bit noisy at
400ISO and up. But my experience of them is limited. I suspect that
this will be the case until they put APS-C sized sensors in them.
I'm getting used to doing without a viewfinder - the screen IS a
sports finder (to the person who suggested a wire frame)  - I was
able to reach up high with the little Casio I had the other day
(2.8") and frame the shot at arm's length.
Consider her needs/wants - there is a crop of new and tiny iPod size
units with 5-8mp, no finder, 3X  zoom and a 3" display. Women really
like these because they are handbag/purse size and can be used as a
pocket electronic photo album, keeping your shots on a collection of
cheap SD cards. Most major manufacturers now have one. The Sony is
the most stylish.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx