[OM] Re: Opinions: Small Digital Point-and-Shoot

Subject: [OM] Re: Opinions: Small Digital Point-and-Shoot
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 22:29:18 -0500
On 6/11/06, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think the F10 is just a wonderful camera, very small, yet with big
> camera results. Not just good at iso 400, but also 800. And it's really
> usable at 1600, with some loss of detail, but not enough to be
> noticeable on the web or at 8x10".
>
> All the shots in these galleries were taken with the F10:
> http://galleries.moosemystic.net/Iron4/
> http://galleries.moosemystic.net/Cloisters/
> http://galleries.moosemystic.net/GGPark/Frescos/index.htm

Those are very nice indeed.

> - The F10 provides no manual exposure control, although it's easy to
> work around in spot mode in many cases. However, the F11 is the same
> camera with manual controls and the new F30 continues with manual controls.
>
> - Like all these little cameras, it has no RAW mode. With JPEG, it is
> impossible to cover the full brightness range of some outdoor scenes.
> Not a big problem for the regular P&S shooter, but bugs me. who want to
> have my cake and eat it too. There is a way around it in post processing:

I don't know whether you are referring to all the little Fuji cameras,
or whether you don't consider the C-7000 to be small, but I consider
it quite small and it shoots RAW.  I can carry it my my pants pocket
(though it possibly makes it look like I'm happy to see you).  This
shot was shot in RAW mode using the macro focusing feature, manual
settings, and AF lock:

http://myweb.uiowa.edu/jfwilcox/day/p5100002.jpg

I used a tripod.  The remote that comes with the E-1 works with the
C-7000 (probably an oversight on Olympus' part!).  ISO was 80 I
believe.

Joel W.