[OM] Re: Opinions: Small Digital Point-and-Shoot

Subject: [OM] Re: Opinions: Small Digital Point-and-Shoot
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 15:34:10 -0700
Winsor Crosby wrote:
> The impossible dream? We would all like to order up our ideal camera
> but find we have to make compromises with what exists. Fuji seems to
> be the only small camera maker to have found a solution to noise free
> images at ISO 400 in some of their models. Cameras with fast, wide
> angle lenses have almost disappeared, but they were not small and
> they were not noise free at ISO 400. Canon S80 is relatively small,
> has a wide angle, but not noise free. Fuji F10 or F11 is simple,
> small, great ISO performance, but a slow, not very wide angle.
Since I am far more often looking for more, rather than less, DOF, a
slower lens and better high iso performance is my strong preference over
a fast lens and less sensor speed. Both would also be nice, but that's
not what is possible in the form factor, at least not now.

I think the F10 is just a wonderful camera, very small, yet with big
camera results. Not just good at iso 400, but also 800. And it's really
usable at 1600, with some loss of detail, but not enough to be
noticeable on the web or at 8x10".

All the shots in these galleries were taken with the F10:
http://galleries.moosemystic.net/Iron4/
http://galleries.moosemystic.net/Cloisters/
http://galleries.moosemystic.net/GGPark/Frescos/index.htm

Of course there are some compromises, in common with other very compact
cameras.

- Wide angle is about 35mm eq., not the 28mm lots of folks would like.
It a good compromise for me as these little cameras have 3x zooms and I
wouldn't want to lose at the long end.  The lens is the same coverage as
the 35-105 on an OM.

- The huge LCD is quite wonderful for composition and evaluating
exposure and gains up to provide a view in low light. BUT, like most
(all?) others, reflections in bright sun can make it nearly impossible
to see. You need to carry something to shade it in bright light at some
angles of sun. I can often pull down my glasses, use my myopic right eye
and let the brim of my hat shade the LCD, but that's not an option for
everyone.

- The F10 provides no manual exposure control, although it's easy to
work around in spot mode in many cases. However, the F11 is the same
camera with manual controls and the new F30 continues with manual controls.

- Like all these little cameras, it has no RAW mode. With JPEG, it is
impossible to cover the full brightness range of some outdoor scenes.
Not a big problem for the regular P&S shooter, but bugs me. who want to
have my cake and eat it too. There is a way around it in post processing:

http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Combos/
http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/SanSe.htm

Chuck Norcutt wrote:

> Focusing quickly in poor light.

And yet, I've not had any trouble with low light focus with the F10. It
focuses in rather dim light without the focus assist light and in
complete darkness with it.

Moose