[OM] Re: Opinions: Small Digital Point-and-Shoot

Subject: [OM] Re: Opinions: Small Digital Point-and-Shoot
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 18:54:11 -0500
On 6/11/06, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Joel Wilcox wrote:
> > I don't know whether you are referring to all the little Fuji cameras,
> > or whether you don't consider the C-7000 to be small, but I consider
> > it quite small and it shoots RAW.
> I did look at the C-7000. It is longer and much deeper than the F10 and
> weighs about 50% more, so it didn't really fit my criteria in that
> sense. But it might still have been in the running, if only for the RAW
> capability and additional tele range. Then again, probably not. I really
> wasn't looking for an all round camera, but something small and yet
> capable enough that I could carry it anywhere and get results I would
> like. Once a camera gets above a certain size/weight, taking it along
> becomes different and I might just as well carry a DSLR. That's just how
> it is with me, your mileage obviously varies.

Yes, it does.  I use a backpack most of the time, and the C-7000 adds
essentially nothing to that, and I can carry it on my person if need
be, particularly if I'm not wearing tight jeans, for example.

You made the statement that the small cameras don't shoot RAW. I
didn't know whether that meant you did not know that the C-7000 shoots
RAW or that you didn't consider it small.  I see that you simply don't
consider it to be small.  Fair enough.

> Also, it is slow in operation, one of my key criteria. I spent too much
> time missing shots of my granddaughters due to focus/shutter lag with my
> prior P&S. It also failed another of my key criteria, noise. Although
> noisier than the F10 at iso 400, it isn't bad, but the lack of at least
> 800 knocked it out of the running. Both cameras have lenses of the same
> speed.

Oh yes, noise.  I don't think we will ever agree on that issue.

I do agree about speed.  I still haven't shot jpeg with the C-7000.
The fast xD cards bring write times down to very acceptable margins,
but that's very relative.  Playback is slow enough to try my patience.
 I nearly always shoot one-off, so RAW has been quite OK.  This camera
nails exposure better than any camera I've ever had.  So I frequently
deal with the playback problem by simply skipping it as a mostly
unnecessary step.

> > I can carry it my my pants pocket
> > (though it possibly makes it look like I'm happy to see you).  This
> > shot was shot in RAW mode using the macro focusing feature, manual
> > settings, and AF lock:
> >
> > http://myweb.uiowa.edu/jfwilcox/day/p5100002.jpg
> >
> Great shot!
> > I used a tripod.
> I can't remember using a tripod with the F10, although I may have at
> some time. It's part of that size/weight thing...

Both the C-8080 and C-7000 provide some macro capabilities which are
worth the trouble of learning to use.  It seems incongruous to use
these cameras on a tripod, but if you want to use the AF lock to vary
DOF (or manual focus on the C-8080) it is pretty much essential.

I almost bought an F10 but didn't like the Auto-only nature of the
thing.  I probably would have bought an F11 if I could have found one
somewhere other than eBay at the time I was looking.  But it was too
expensive for the kind of thing I wanted.

The small cameras always drive me back to a DSLR.  They each have some
advantage or attraction, but the [D]SLR is the most transparent
interface for photography to me.

Joel W.