[OM] Katzeyeoptics Plus Screens

Subject: [OM] Katzeyeoptics Plus Screens
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 16:35:54 -0700
After finding out that Katzeyeoptics doesn't have a "plus" focus screen for
the 5D and that they weren't sure if they would in the future, I asked if
they could make one for the OMs. Rachael made some measurements on the 1-13
screen that I sent her and replied they could match the fresnel power
exactly but the screen is too large for the equipment they have at this time
   :-(

The exhange of emails provided some interesting info on the OptiBrite
treatment:

"OptiBrite treatment isn't designed to improve focusing accuracy - it
improves your ability to get good composition by increasing the amount of
light that gets to your eye.  In general, it has very little affect on
focusing accuracy, but if you are measuring extremely critically, there is a
very slight loss of precision (maybe 1-2%) with the OptiBrite treatment."

I'll probably order a plus screen for my E-300 and see how well that works
with the catadioptric lenses ... and keep my fingers crossed that the
business at Katzeye is good enough to justify making larger screens.

It appears that the BrightScreen Johnny has with the split image is about
the only near term option for the 5D with a chance of working better for
slow manual focus lenses.

-jeff