[OM] Re: Opinions: Small Digital Point-and-Shoot

Subject: [OM] Re: Opinions: Small Digital Point-and-Shoot
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 20:39:06 -0700
Andrew Fildes wrote:
> AFAIK there isn't a real P&S on the market which isn't a bit noisy at
> 400ISO and up. But my experience of them is limited.
I've experienced fewer of them than you have, but I have experience with
one that belies your generalization.  Here are some full pixel crops of
shots with the F10 at iso 400 and 800. They are chosen not for artistic
merit, but to show many different colors and textures and lots of
shadows where the noise hides. The first four are at iso 400 and the
last two are iso 800 <http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/F10Noise/>.

The first one has been adjusted and sharpened a little and the next four
are right out of the camera. The last one was taken on a very foggy day,
so it is naturally flat. I have included roll-overs with adjustment to
pump it up and sharpening to show how the grain looks after that. I've
taken hundreds of shots at 800 with results I like. Of course, iso 200
and below are just noise free and sharper at the pixel level, but
remember, these are 6.3 mp images. You just don't see the difference in
web images or 8x10s. I don't know at what size it would start to show
up, because I haven't tried it.
> I suspect that this will be the case until they put APS-C sized sensors in
> them.
Your standards may be different than mine, but I just don't consider iso
400 on the F10 noisy and the noise isn't a problem at 800 the majority
of the time. If it is, is is modest enough that something like NeatImage
will clean it up nicely. 1600 is still usable, it really doesn't fall
apart, but I very seldom use it, so I didn't run across any useful
examples on my ramble through the images. There is a great sample shot
at iso 1600 of a concert hall in the dpreview sample images.

If the F30 lives up to Fuji's promise, it may completely disprove any
need for bigger sensors for low noise.

Moose