Re: [OM] which ink jet printer printer shall I buy

Subject: Re: [OM] which ink jet printer printer shall I buy
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 08:50:10 -0700

>I would need the printer for my job (printing pdf files with color
>figures, A4 or letter format, regular printer paper). It should be
>reasonably fast, not too loud.
>
>And I want to use it for my photographies, color and b/w.......

I think that you will find a good printer for both functions you propose
hard to find. A good work printer isn't going to be the best photo
printer and a good photo printer isn't a good work printer. I've been
forced to use my photo printer for work since my laser printer died. The
photo printer is slow, noisy, takes up a lot of desk realestate and uses
expensive ink. Ideally you would buy two printers and with the prices of
a basic office printer being low this isn't an unreasonable solution. If
you want b/w capability then the Epson 2200 sounds pretty good. And
until you can afford that one, for a basic office printer that is fast,
quiet, cheap consumables and does excellent photos Consumer Reports
(May2003)  recommends The Canon S520. I find the CR recommendations to
be generally accurate if taken with a grain of salt, e.g. read the
entire article not just the results. They were right about the Epson 820
that I had for a while. Slow, noisy, expensive ink but great photos and
cheap.
Mike