Re: [OM] which ink jet printer printer shall I buy

Subject: Re: [OM] which ink jet printer printer shall I buy
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 08:23:16 -0500
At 03:03 PM 4/15/2003 +0200, you wrote:
Hi all,

here is a question for the experts: I wanna buy an ink jet printer. What would you recommend?

I would need the printer for my job (printing pdf files with color figures, A4 or letter format, regular printer paper). It should be reasonably fast, not too loud.

And I want to use it for my photographies, color and b/w. For that purpose, it would be nice if it could take heavy and larger paper (A3 or 11x14). About the choice of inks, refillable and light resistant, I do not know anything.

Could you give me some advice?

Thanks, best regards,

Thomas

Thomas,
The options to print large sizes adds quite a lot to the cost of a printer. If letter or A4 size were sufficient, there are lots of printers that would do a good job for a good price. (The consumables are another matter.) The larger size will push the cost up closer to $500-750US in some cases.

I use an Epson printer and have some of the same feelings of commitment to Epson that I have to OM. For more objective views, you might want to lurk a bit at USENET's comp.periph.printers.

You'll probably wish to buy your printer with your most exacting need in mind: photo quality. Printing web pages or PDFs is easy by comparison. Probably the next consideration would be letter-quality type. Some photo quality printers are less good at that (but may be perfectly OK for your needs -- mine is). Good luck!

Joel W.