Re: [OM] John Hermanson

Subject: Re: [OM] John Hermanson
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 13:52:58 -0700

All excellent points, most especially the implication that a meticulous and conscientious workman will want to walk through the entire system to ensure that the unit he sends back works properly throughout, no matter that it's been just six months since he last worked on that same piece of equipment. Afterall, the last thing a repairman would want to see is his work coming back at him time after time--more than embarrassing, that's expensive.

Clint, are you the OM repair person situated somewhere down in Texas?

Tris

Many problems can occur _just_because_ a camera sits idle for an extended
period.  I've seen cameras come back that I worked on two or three years ago
that the foam was fine then, but mush now -- should I do that for free?  And
then there are cameras that sit unused for years, until the switch contacts
tarnish and become unreliable.  Not to mention that plastic gets brittle,
fungus grows, adhesives fail, etc., etc..  It doesn't matter if there was
only one thing wrong with it "way back then" -- if I work on it, I've still
got to fix things that the customer might not realize are a problem.

What I'm saying is that there is a _reason_ for the time limit for a
warranty repair, not just "legal-eze".  Whatever else is wrong with your
camera, John may have to spend two or three times the time/labor/effort to
fix it _again_ than he would have if you had returned it in a reasonable
time period, then used it periodically thereafter.  Even if it doesn't need
any additional work, John will have to assume it _does_, and invest the time
to be sure _everything_ is working properly, making no assumptions until
he's proven to himself otherwise.

Not meaning to "pile on", just another shop's perspective....