Re: [OM] Mushy foam

Subject: Re: [OM] Mushy foam
From: Joshua Putnam <josh@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 21:17:47 -0700
Jim Couch wrote:

> I suspect that airborne pollutants are a large factor in foam
>  deterioration. We run into the same thing with bicycle
> tires, some customers have tires that last for years, others
>  have tires that dry rot in no less than a couple of seasons.

I've actually studied the issue a bit on bicycle tires and brake
hoods, and I expect the same factors will play a role with camera
foam.

Ozone is lethal -- bicycles stored in garages with electrical
tools that have open brushes which generate ozone will show rapid
oxidation of tires, brake hoods, etc. Older electric appliances did this, too.

Sweat and skin oil promote rot. I've taken new-old-stock rubber
parts out of the factory packaging and found unmistakable
fingerprint-shaped patches of rot. Don't use your bare fingers to
rub dirt off of camera seals.

Some adhesives promote decay, just as in photo display and
storage. Solvents, oils, sulfur content, whatever, you can see it
around the glue, a clear margin of deterioration in otherwise
sound rubber.

If you're ever taking boudoir photos for fetish folks, just ask a
rubber-lover about all the storage protections they have to take.
Makes bicycle collectors seem slovenly!

--
josh@xxxxxxxxx is Joshua Putnam
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/>