Re: [OM] Mushy foam

Subject: Re: [OM] Mushy foam
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 16:27:00 -0500
There have to be a number of factors that would affect deterioration of the
foam -- heat probably, moisture perhaps, maybe sunlight or even dust/dust
mites for that matter!  (For all I know there's someone on the oly-list with
a doctorate in "foam-ology" that can tell us!)  I've seen cameras that are
30 years old with foam that's in great shape, and cameras that are less than
10 years old that the foam has turned to mush.

Our test for years has been to drag a tool across the foam at the top,
bottom and side of the back, all three -- sometimes only a portion of the
foam shows evidence of failure (a fancy way to say, "it's turning to
mush"!), so we check it all.  And if _any_ portion looks bad, we replace it
all.  How long does it take for foam to go from "good" to "bad"?  Beats me!