RE: [OM] International role call - just out of curiosity

Subject: RE: [OM] International role call - just out of curiosity
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 22:00:08 -0700
At 20:32 4/3/02, Lisa asked:
>It's great to see so many different TLDs. I'm curious where people are
from,
>if you're amenable please introduce yourself. There seems to be a fair few
>newbies, myself included, so it may be a nice way for us to "meet" you old
>timers.

Lisa,

I'm always a little curious about people too so should put in my
information.

I started using OM gear in about 1974 with the purchase of my first OM-1
which I still use. I had always wanted a compact but tough SLR for
mountaineering activities and this was the answer. I live in the USA in
Eastern Idaho spending part if the time on the edge of the desert and part
in the mountains where I can see Yellowstone Park from the house and the
Tetons from the front yard. I'm a retired mechanical engineer who started
out designing large construction equipment and spent the last 35 years
designing and building equipment for a nuclear safety research facility. The
first electrical power generated by a nuclear reactor was produced here
about 50 years ago. We collaborated with scientists from many countries and
it was very satisfying work. Unfortunately the time demands of work caused
the photographic activity to be sporadic, but still enjoyable.

Most of my photography has been in the commercial area in a variety of ways.
I used to sell scenic pictures of the Tetons and flowers through gift shops.
I did team pictures and action photos for several sports. I photographed
weddings for several years. I do some investigative and forensic work. Most
of the commercial work I do now consists of things the professional studios
don't want to do. I am hoping to have more time to do photography just for
the pure fun of it. Wildlife and scenics are my favorite subjects lately.
For the last two years I have been buying and selling on the internet to
leverage improvements to my camera system and now have a very nice set of
toys, or tools, depending on your viewpoint. My micro/macro lab can do from
life-size down to 1200X. My prime lenses range from 17mm wide-angle to
1000mm telephoto. My zooms range from 28mm to 1200mm. I use OM-1,2,3,and 4
bodies and love them all for specific things. I have good scanners and
computer equipment and a good darkroom. There are still a few little pieces
of gear missing from the inventory but they will be found eventually. I
still feel the need to sell some work to justify the investment in
equipment.........but that is waning.

A lot of good information is communicated on this list. Some of the people
here have extensive knowledge of the OM equipment, and photography in
general, and are very willing to share what they know. It is great to have a
forum where one can have questions answered and continually learn about this
fascinating subject of photography.

/jim