FW: [OM] International role call - just out of curiosity

Subject: FW: [OM] International role call - just out of curiosity
From: Harry Wiechel <h.wiechel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 17:08:22 +0200
following the good example of Lisa, Kierstin and many others, thought that
introducing oneselves to list members is not a bad thing and, also feeling
sort of obliged to come out of the lurkers corner, here is me:

My name is Harry and I am german (live in Hamburg now) and have spent some
time in the UK, the Netherlands and in Nigeria (which is in West Africa). I
have been on the list for a short while since late last year but decided to
switch to read the digests as the sheer volume of mails coming in is way
toooo much to handle for me anyway (even the digest isnt easy to digest
with all the repetions and referrals in it). Anyway Photography has always
facinated me since I was a small boy. First Camera was a AGFA Silette;
still have it today, though only for sentimental reasons.

Bought my first OM1 back in 1976 with the 50 mm zuiko f 1,4 (after ma old
OLYMPUS FTL got stolen in London).  Shortly after that I added the 24/2,8
and the classic 135/2,8 and, later still the amazing 4,5/300 mm (just had
to have this one). This was my set for some odd years and Photography went
dormant for some time. Until in the early ninties after I got married and
the missus took a liking to the camera too. Meanwhile I have picked up an
OM 10 (which my wife uses), an OM 4Ti black, and to go with it, over some
time though, some lenses (the zuikolism bug must have bitten me) :
200 f 4 (my only Silvernosed lens)
35-105 / f3.5-4.5 (got two of these, dont ask why) and the 65-200 / f 4
28 / f 2.zero and, latest acquisition, the wonderful  21 / f2,8
plus two winders and the bounce grip2 with one T32 and two T20s

over the years the OM1 md travelled a lot with me (including tropical
Africa), has taken some beating and dropping, shows signs of wear
(scratches and dents) but never failed me! .....a true companion.

Also I own since many years an N*konos (an amphibious rangefinder with
interchangeable lenses) with a strobe, for underwaterphotography. My wife
and I go diving every year and this set have given us wonderful pictures of
the underwaterworld. I heard that Olympus is now doing a digital amphibious
camera, must have a look it some time when it comes into the retailers. Is
there any other underwater photographer on this wonderful list, me likes to
know?

My next project is to get a slides-scanner to be able to exchange photos on
the net, participate in TOPE etc. and maybe to build up my own internet
presentation. That would be fun.

...... just one more word : I am glad to have found this community of
oly-lovers in the net and that I can share the zuiko-feeling with others
around the globe (but why is it that there are no list- members from Japan?
or are there?)

meanwhile, keep on making good slides.
greetings to you all....
harry