RE: [OM] International role call - just out of curiosity

Subject: RE: [OM] International role call - just out of curiosity
From: Scott Gomez <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 17:32:34 -0800
Well, I'm at least a day late (and probably more than a dollar short), Lisa,
but here's me:

I'm Scott Gomez, been on the list about a year (give or take) now. Started
35mm with my dad's old Kodak 35 rangefinder back somewhere around 1967
either in Jr. High or High School. Before that is was various Kodak
"Brownies" or "Hawkeyes" of one sort or another. I also used some sort of
twin lens he owned, but it escapes me what it was.

I was given a Sears 35mm SLR (Pentax mount) that stood me quite well through
some college time and 6 years in the US Navy. It traveled everywhere with me
overseas and even survived a dunking in the Suez Canal.

Once I got out of the Navy (and actually was making some money) I
investigated better 35mm cameras and the choice of an Olympus OM-1N was a
no-brainer. I shot exclusively with that body, a Zuiko 50/1.8 and a Zuiko
135/3.5 from 1980 until around 1998. The only other things I had picked up
were a Winder 2, a Bounce Grip 2 a T20 and a (n)ever-ready case (along with
the usual accumulation of this and that, like filters and things). In 1998
my dad gave me his old OM-2 and another lens or two. I think it was an
additional Zuiko 50/1.8 and a 28mm Vivitar.

I switched to digital because of some work-related requirements in 2000. I
used an Agfa 1680, which is a fine little camera for web-work and has a
"twist body" that was well suited to the type of work I was doing with it.
However, I soon learned to absolutely loathe digital, regardless of vendor,
which is a long rant I won't enter into here.

So last year I returned to my OMs. And bought more OM gear. A lot more OM
gear. Ironically, one of the things that happened along the way was that my
dad offered me his OM-4T in exchange for me buying him an Olympus flash he
was after for his digital camera the very same evening I had finished
closing an Ebay deal for an OM-4. Grrrr. Still have both though :-)

There's a list of my Oly stuff and some of my photos on my site. One thing I
have learned is that I've had to re-learn a lot about "fine photography"
after spending years doing mostly snapshot and illustrative photography.
Fine by me, I'm having a ball, although I've used up most of my OMoney. :-(

I'm currently living in Crestline, California, a small mountain town about
4000 feet above the city of San Bernardino, and roughly 90 road miles east
of LA.

Probably TMI, but there it is.

---
Scott Gomez