RE: [OM] International role call - just out of curiosity

Subject: RE: [OM] International role call - just out of curiosity
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 22:07:12 -0500
At 20:32 4/3/02, Lisa asked:
It's great to see so many different TLDs. I'm curious where people are from,
if you're amenable please introduce yourself. There seems to be a fair few
newbies, myself included, so it may be a nice way for us to "meet" you old
timers.

"TLD" eh? Someone who knows some 'net jargon! Yes, there are quite a few here.

I'm John Lind and I'm a Zuikohol^Hbbiest. Been on The List for three years. Been on the 'net since 1987.

Made my first photographs in Jr. High (6th or 7th grade) using Verichrome Pan in my father's Kodak 620 folding camera [Verichrome just met its sad demise at the hands of Kodak's scalpel-wielding bean counters]. He set up a modest darkroom in our garage and we made contact prints. I bought my first camera, a used Yashica J-5 with 55/1.2 Yashinon and never-ready case, at the end of my Junior year in H.S. If you've never seen one, they were 1960's vintage and similar in operation to the OM-1, except bigger and heavier. Shot Tri-X in it (when *all* Tri-X was still ISO 320). Bought my second camera, a miniature Agfa half-frame with clockwork winder, about a year later. Can't remember what I used in it; likely Kodacolor II.

A few years go by and found myself in the Army the day after college graduation. Bought a Rollei 35T in '78 and a Rollei 35S in '79 while stationed in Germany. In early 1980 it was time for another SLR. Bought an OM-10 with 50/1.8 F.Zuiko, Manual Adapter and T-20 at the Little Creek Naval Base BX in Virginia (was TDY at Fort Lee and their PX didn't have any). Eventually added a Winder 2, 28/3.5 G.Zuiko, 75-150/4 Zuiko Zoom, and no-name 2X TC. Used those for about 20 years and packed them in a Tamrac half-moon also purchased in 1980.

Found this list about a year after buying a used OM-4. Since then I sold off the OM-10 and all three of those lenses, replacing them with an OM-1n, OM-2S, 11 primes from 18mm to 300mm, 35-105/3.5~4.5 Zuiko Zoom, extension tubes, 2X-A, a pair of T-32's, and a BG2. Aside from the OM's and Zuiko's I've also added a mid-1950's Contax IIIa with 50/1.5 Sonnar, and a Mamiya M645 with prism finder and three Sekor C lenses. There are some other odd 'n ends such as the Sunpak 383, Metz 40MZ, Newton flash bracket, etc., along with three more camera bags to hold it all (all of which are bigger than the original half-moon). BTW, the original Tamrac shows almost no wear! Focus for now is on expanding the medium format system.

I am now doing my serious photography for juried and non-juried exhibition with large prints. My goal is to eventually have a "solo" show in a fine arts gallery . . . which takes some time to work at wrapped around a *completely* different "day job."

Over the years I've lived in Indiana, New York (state), California, Arizona, Washington (state), Georgia, Germany, Virginia, Kansas, and am finally back in Indiana, about 60 miles from where I originated.

-- John