Re: [OM] On the shores of James Bay

Subject: Re: [OM] On the shores of James Bay
From: Wayne Culberson <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 21:22:28 -0400
Henrik Dahl wrote:

> Wayne
> I'm not in any way disagreeing, but if Josh is only half as poor (!) as I
> was as a student, maybe two bodies is a little hefty. Somewhere deep
beyond
> our Zuikoholic haze we probably all know that "The Picture" is not to be
> found in a particular body or lens or type of film, but rather in that
> so-hard-to-catch-once-in-a-lifetime moment we all long to stumble over.
And
> in the boring word practice. I find myself (but I might be exceptionally
> slow) after many years of photography still going back to the OM-1 50/1.8
> basic setup - just to relearn. My advice to Josh would be to learn slowly
> but thoroughly, and to spend his students cash on a lot of B/W film rather
> than on equipment.
>
> Another 2, well spent, cents ;-)
> Henrik Dahl

Agreed Henrik,
I too would buy film ahead of equipment.
I personally work on a smaller budget than most here, and had only an
Olympus RC until I was over 30 (okay, I had a Kodak instamatic 104). My
2 cents worth is probably worth less than a penny, seeing as I am from
Canada and the dollar here is pretty low right now <g> But IF he is bent
to spend money on more lenses, I'd reccommend another "cheap" body over
something like a Zuiko 24mm, so he didn't have to finish a whole roll
just to take a color picture, then finish all that before he can go back
to B&W.
It seems he has lots of B&W film for basically the taking. IF I were in
the same situation, and IF I had some money to spend on equipment, I'd
take both free offers for the 50/1.8's, and put even an OM10 behind one
just so I could use color and B&W at the same time. Or maybe something
cheaper. Hey, I even bought a Like New Yas.. Yashi..., oh I can't say it
here (has GSN on it, permanent lens "no good" type camera) for under $30
US including shipping not too long ago. This is the type of thing I'm
referring to.
I know OM10's are not cool here, but I have one that's worked perfectly
for over 15 years now. I bought it before I bought an OM1, but one could
do it the other way round too, I guess.
Anyways, I really enjoy the diversity of opinions here, and learn
something new every day I think. The group has photogs from all
different interests of photography, and so one (including me)tends to
reccommend the type of equipment that he personally uses. I don't shoot
sports, at least not yet, so have never owned an MD, and really haven't
been influenced here to even want one. But I've bought 3 more OM's and
some lenses since joining the list. But one has to be careful that he
picks out the advice that suits his/her individual financial situation,
photography style, "needs", etc. There is the possibility that someone
(read younger...never us older guys) might overspend trying to gain the
approval of a peer group.
Wayne