Re: [OM] On the shores of James Bay

Subject: Re: [OM] On the shores of James Bay
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 21:26:38 +0000
At 01:22 2/5/02, Wayne Culberson wrote:
I don't shoot sports, at least not yet, so have never owned an MD, and really haven't been influenced here to even want one. But I've bought 3 more OM's and some lenses since joining the list. But one has to be careful that he picks out the advice that suits his/her individual financial situation, photography style, "needs", etc. There is the possibility that someone (read younger...never us older guys) might overspend trying to gain the approval of a peer group.
Wayne

I know you weren't referring to my "Saturday Sports" posting, but I will put an addendum here with some remarks about what I used this past weekend.

To shoot that event I bolted together a sizeable amount of gear. Used it all simply because I happend to have it. Out of everything that was assembled the only *required* pieces were the OM-2S and the 50mm that was on it before I exchanged it for the longer one. Could have used the OM-1n or OM-4 just as easily; pulled out the "2S" almost on a coin toss. Would have had to shoot the event and capture what was happening differently with a standard lens, but it wasn't impossible. The 135/2.8 made it much easier. The high power flash and winder only made it slightly easier by reducing risk of camera shake a little.

The most important aspect of the "Saturday Sports" was planning for it: thinking about how to "best" work the event with equipment on hand, considering the likely lighting level for shooting available light, probable lighting color temperature, film choice, lens selection, and ancillary hardware that might be convenient. If I could have had *anything* to shoot it with, I would have picked a 180/2 and a Wimberly head for the tripod.

-- John