Re: [OM] On the shores of James Bay

Subject: Re: [OM] On the shores of James Bay
From: "Roger Wesson" <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 17:48:10 -0000
Hmm, well, it sounds like you're in quite a similar situation to me when I
got into the OM system: wanted to do some astrophotography and read that the
OM-1 was the cheapest of the recommended astro bodies.  I got a chrome one
with a silvernose 50/1.8 lens - maximum retro appeal.  The first other lens
I bought was a Tokina 70-210, which was not a brilliant buy - I hardly ever
used it.  But the next lens I bought, a Tokina 28/2.8, was a brilliant buy -
it's hardly left my camera since, and I love the results.  It cost 35
pounds.  Other useful things for a budget kit are a 2x teleconverter (3x
teleconverters are never very good) and extension tubes for macro stuff

But I'd second the recommendation to buy lots of film.  You'll get rapidly
better at getting good photographs if you shoot lots of film - getting more
lenses is not an urgent concern, I don't reckon.

Roger