Re: [OM] On the shores of James Bay

Subject: Re: [OM] On the shores of James Bay
From: "Tom Trottier" <Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 19:18:53 -0500
Ah, but colour costs $$, B&W, especially bulk loaded from a Watson or other
bulk loader, e.g.
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1330522760
is cheap, about $24 US for 100' or about 20 36-exposure rolls, and you can
experiment with fine grain or high speed developers, or mix your own.

It's a great way to explore image-making without the complexities and cost
of colour.

tOM

On Monday, February 04, 2002 at 12:57, Wayne Culberson
<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "Re: [OM] On the shores of James Bay" saying:

> Josh
> Personally, I'd be a little lost with just one camera body if it was
> loaded with B&W film. I have several (not all slr's), but keep only one
> loaded with B&W, and that is with Portra400BW today. I like having
> choices of film almost as much as choices of lenses, and this
> practically requires another body (which are as cheap as another lens).
> I just reviewed right now, and have loaded Elitechrome 100s, Kodachrome
> 64, Kodak Gold400, Kodak Gold100, Portra 160NC as well as the B&W. I
> still have a few empty cameras should I want to put in something else
> which I keep on hand in the refrigerator. Obviously, you don't need that
> much choice. But just a suggestion, but you might want to explore having
> choices of film to shoot as well as choices of lens perspectives when
> the photo moment comes. B&W is nice, but our world is in color.
> Wayne
>
> Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> > Dear Josh
> >
> > The classic set of lenses is the 50, 35 or 28, and the 135/3.5.
> > All those lenses are both sharp and cheap and take 49mm filters.
> > Once you have those, start exploring with your film & darkroom.
> > Have fun!
> >
> > I also started at High School, originally with an Argus then a Retina IIa,
> > making B&W magic in the darkroom.
> >
> > Tom
> >
> > On Tuesday, February 05, 2002 at 10:34, Josh Lohuis
> > <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote re "Re: [OM] On the shores of James Bay" saying:
> > >       I don't agree with the "not great" lenses bit, but this did urge me
> > > act quickly. I bought my camera a one week later, and since then I have
> > > taken a small photography intro at school, and I am currently enrolled in
> > > an
> > > 8-week course with our city's only real professional photographer.  As I
> > > said earlier, film is not really a problem anymore so I think I'd like to
> > > get a couple more lenses.  Thanks to everyone again, I really appreciate
> > > all
> > > your help. If you have anymore suggestions send them over, I'm all ears!!

> > tOM Trottier,   ICQ:57647974    http://abacurial.com
> >         758 Albert St, Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
> >         +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-6115 N45.412 W75.714
> > "The moment one gives close attention to anything,
> > even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious,
> > awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself --
> > Henry Miller, 1891-1980

------- Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur -----------------
   ,__@ Tom A. Trottier +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-6115
 _-\_<, 758 Albert St.,Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*)        ICQ:57647974 N45.412 W75.714