Re: [OM] On the shores of James Bay

Subject: Re: [OM] On the shores of James Bay
From: "Josh Lohuis" <josh1@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 19:48:12 -0600
Well it seems as if everyone has their own opinion on what I should have and
do, here is mine:  Another body is pointless at this point, I can easily
rewind film I already have in my camera to a point before the leader is
"consumed", then later insert the film, put the lens cap on and keep firing
the shutter until I'm back to where I left off.  Its not perfect but does
fine.  Another body would create a space and weight issue plus the biggest
factor is that I have no money to be getting more bodies, I'm sure that when
I have some extra cash though  I will buy as many OM related items that I
can, I'd like to start a collection of some sort. As to lens, I'm in the
process of buying a 28mm, my next purchase (I think) will be a 135mm, then
I'll look into some macro solutions.  I might be getting a job soon, at the
local photofinisher no less, and plan on devoting half my paycheck to film
and anything else I might want.  In short, I will soon have a very, very
disposable source of income.  I have decided to try and do what I can with
what I have, and focus on the composition and artistic side of photography.
My course is progressing well, and I have my fourth "session" tomorrow
night, it will be about composition: finally what I have been waiting for.
The photographer has become a real friend, and I hope that I can work for
him someday too. (In case your interested: www.cjgagnon.com, he is a very
good photographer!)  I've just finished printing off the last copy of my
resume, tomorrow after school I will begin the distribution.  I might have
found a way to get some of my pictures scanned, so might be able to post
some somewhere.  The question today is: where do I post them? I know a few
of you have some galleries, but how do I get them to you?  Let me know.  I
would like to extend a special thanks to everybody on this list who has
helped me. In the last two weeks that I have been following it, I have
learned a great deal about my lovely camera and the art of photography
itself.  I would like to thank the professional photographer Mike for
putting me back on the tracks. I was getting a little carried away with
lenses and bokeh stuff.  I love getting into technical thinks like that,
(remember, its the hunt not the kill) so I'm glad I did get into it, but I
forgot that photography is taking pictures, not collecting various lenses.
I hope to get a few more lenses to aid in my ability to take pictures, and
with the generosity of those individuals who offered me a free 50mm, I can
now use a normal lens without having to take it off and work the little
aperture thing when I stop down to f/16.  Again, I would like to thank
everybody who has helped me, I have no idea where I would be without the
help and support of you fellow Zuiks.

     JOSH

PS> I read in the Om-1 manual (online .pdf version) that I should take my
hot shoe off when not in use. Something about current, I don't know, can
anybody substantiate this??  Also, does anybody know if the foam around the
pentaprism can corrode everything.  I saw a picture of this at Camtech's
site, so I wonder how often this happens? Is there anyway I can check it?
One more thing, if anyone cares to see my photofinisher visit:
www.royalstudio.com,  they are an OK place, but kind-of an advanced-basic
place. And, to top off this little list of suggestions, visit
http://www.city.timmins.on.ca/, for some information on my beautiful city.