Re: [OM] On the shores of James Bay

Subject: Re: [OM] On the shores of James Bay
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2002 09:44:39 -0700
At 10:48 AM 05/02/2002 -0600, Josh Lohuis wrote:
Hello again,

   Am I also to understand that 35mm may not be the best wide angle lens to
get right now.  I guess my question is: what is the best wide angle lens for
my current position? 28mm maybe??

Hmmmmm. Unfortunately, the question of "best wide" is one of those aesthetic questions, like "art," "prettiest girl," "handsomest man," etc. You get the idea.

I've never had the hankering for a 35mm, but many people like it 'cause it goes significantly wider than a 50mm without adding undue amounts of rectilinear "stretching" near the corners and edges. However, I've noticed that the Zuiko 28/2.0 has most of the benefits of the 35, plus it goes wider. It's tack-sharp, too, and produces great shots especially when stopped down to F/4 - F/8, but even good ones wide open. It also comes in an F/2.8 and an F/3.5 version, if memory serves. The latter ones are much cheaper on the used market than the former. Can't vouch for their image quality, though I'm sure others on the List could.

Does anyone have anything they want to sell to me.  Anything at all that you
might think is useful for me.

No, but my offer of a free Zuiko 50/1.8 is still open, should you want one that doesn't have a sticky diaphragm.

Garth