More Re: [OM] On the shores of James Bay

Subject: More Re: [OM] On the shores of James Bay
From: Wayne Culberson <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2002 10:54:37 -0400

)

> Likely many of us old guys would trade your age for our OM gear if we
> could, too. By the time you are able to afford it, you're too old to
> carry it. <g>
> Get a vivitar 2x macro converter to put behind your free 50/1.8 for
> macro shots of stuff you see in the woods. You'll get a lot of usage and
> decent pics for the dollars.   Wayne

A few more thoughts:
If money is tight, buy film instead of more lenses. You'll have a lot
more fun with 20 rolls of film than with a new lens and no film. If you
have a 50mm and 2x macro (also give you 100mm perspective), and say a
28mm (even a third party), you have enough to carry and enough to keep
you taking pics in the woods for a long time. Buy more film. You don't
need a shift lens as no tree stands exactly vertical anyway. If 28mm
isn't wide enough, move back. It's not like being in the city where you
can't. Buy more film, and good quality film. Get a decent tripod that
you can afford, and is light enough to carry . If it doesn't go low
enough for macro, make it go lower. Make a bean bag for low shots.
Improvise, it takes longer to set up, but you have more time than money.
I've used a cheap tripod leaned over a rock or log or hump of soil, and
weighted down with whatever to get closer. Buy more film. The best
equipment is useless if you can't afford film. By all means get a
pneumatic shutter release, they're cheap. You can set up for shots of
birds or squirrels, etc., and stand back 20 feet, and wait for them to
come to your food bits. Make a short pneumatic release for macro work.
Just cut off a short piece of the tube and reconnect the two ends of
tubing with an inserted short piece of refill from a ball point pen. You
can reconnect it to full length without any problem. And buy more film.
Having 20 lenses is for old richer guys who can afford it and for whom
film is not a problem.
Wayne
PS  Don't ever buy lenses or whatever if it is a choice between
equipment or film. Buy more film.