Re: [OM] On the shores of James Bay

Subject: Re: [OM] On the shores of James Bay
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 23:39:14 -0700
At 07:41 PM 04/02/2002 -0600, Josh Lohuis wrote:

[snip]

> Hopefully I will soon get a job, and I "fell" into some money (thanks Mom and
> Dad!!), I plan to now buy one or maybe two lenses, to further
>enhance my photographing ability.  What to you guys think of:
>http://cgi.ebay.ca/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1327372456
>and:
>http://cgi.ebay.ca/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1327377186
>and:
>http://cgi.ebay.ca/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1326917758
>
>...or some combination of them.   Note:  I need a new 50mm because the
>aperture on mine sticks, not as bad to stop me from taking pictures, but it
>is a nuisance a big nuisance. Maybe somebody has a better idea for my next
>purchase (hopefully a lens).

Josh:

I have a couple of "spare" Zuiko 50/1.8's lying around, and they're in good
condition.  I'd be happy to send you one for free if you'd send me your address.

As for taking pictures in extreme cold: since I live in Edmonton, and we get
our share of minus 30 Celsius (but nothing more extreme these last few years),
I thought I'd speak up.

One problem that anyone who's shooting in extreme cold is going to encounter is
brittle film.  Another's static electricity.  Hearing your film shred inside
your camera as you wind for the next shot really sucks, and it's almost
impossible to salvage, even with a full darkroom at your disposal.  I know,
I've tried.  Static discharge as you wind on can create interesting "lightning
bolts" across your negative, also ruining your shots (although serendipity has
provided me with several examples of pictures that were more interesting
because of this effect).  Anyways, the best general trick I've found for
keeping a camera relatively warm is to wear multiple layers of clothing, and to
try to keep the camera near the external layer, and as little exposed to body
humidity as possible.  This tends to keep the camera below freezing, but still
usable, and the film can usually handle temperatures down to about -10 Celsius
or so.  Be *careful* about the humidity -- your camera can freeze up mighty
fast.  Others use handwarmers etc., but I was never able to get the hang of it.
 As for gloves, I tend to use a super-thin pair of nylon slips, plus an
overpair made out of fleece.  Works so far -- just pull the overpair off when
you need to shoot, and the slips keep wind etc. off your hands, while allowing
for lots of tactile feedback and good manipulation.

One other idea I've seen for warming the camera, but it seemed bulky to me, was
to carry the camera inside a Coleman-type insulated cooler (one of the small
ones), along with a hand-warmer.  Never tried it myself, but who knows?...  it
would certainly conquer the problem of too much humidity from your own body,
and you could carry other gear in there.

Garth