[OM] On the shores of James Bay

Subject: [OM] On the shores of James Bay
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 12:55:45 +1300
Hello Josh & fellow Zuiks

People living in more temperate climes (where the surrounding oceans
moderate the temperature and almost everything else except stupid
politicians), as I do, tend to forget the severity of living on a continent.

It is difficult to imagine the seasonal routine you get put through.

It is now nearly 12 years since I found some spare cash and did a 5-week
round the world trip west from NZ to OZ, to Singapore, to London,
Netherlands, London again, NY, Vermont, WA, San Diego, Hawaii & home.
Seems like yesterday, but it most definitely is not.

Those days I always carried a camera with me on the plane and got a
window seat if at all possible (usually it was). I was fascinated as we flew in
over the north Atlantic (got shots of icebergs from 35,000 ft - amazing, and
Greenland in the distance), and over the coast of Labrador (more shots) and
down the N side of the St Lawrence seaway, on to Newark airport. I have
photos of that amazing annular lake in Canada, up the Manicouagan River.
And shots of that ice-scraped, barren-looking rocky landscape with the
thousands of little lakes, before and after.

It is easy to forget how much Canada is compressed between the cold north
and the border with the USA.

I suppose, Josh, you don't have much choice of processors where yuare <g>
(I won't edit out that spelling error, it looks neat). But anyway, I'd like to
see
the results of your photography from where you are at any time of year.

It's not a place that gets any showing down-under, and I'll bet there's a heap
of great images just waiting to be made. Thick gloves or not. Landscapes,
people, plants, rocks, animals, no-see-ums, autumn, the sea.  All different
from most other places.

Brian
Help build up a good list of preferred film processors.
E-mail me with the details of any very good one to add to
http://homepages.caverock.net.nz/~bj/photography/zuikoholics/processors.htm