Re: [OM] On the shores of James Bay

Subject: Re: [OM] On the shores of James Bay
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 17:57:59 -0800
#1 is an old silvernose singlecoated. It's fairly easy to find the latest (of 5!) versions of the 50/1.8 about as cheap as the older ones. #2 is a multi-coated silvernose. I have one of these, but really never use it. I generally use a broader range zoom #3 is also singlecoated. It looks like the filter is off in the first picture and it is a blacknose, but the "G.Zuiko" confirms that it is an SC lens. If the price is right???

Although opinions differ, multicoated versions are generally considered better for all 'round use, with better contrast and resistance to flare. In the case of the 50/1.8, the whole lens design is different and better in the latest version.

Interesting happenstance here. The change of styling from silver to black 'nose' generally coincided with the switch from SC to MC. you have found examples of both odd transition combinations, a silvernose that's multicoated and a blacknose that's singlecoated.

Josh Lohuis wrote:

PS.  Hopefully I will soon get a job, and I "fell" into some money (thanks
Mom and Dad!!), I plan to now buy one or maybe two lenses, to further
enhance my photographing ability.  What to you guys think of:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1327372456
and:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1327377186
and:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1326917758

...or some combination of them.   Note:  I need a new 50mm because the
aperture on mine sticks, not as bad to stop me from taking pictures, but it
is a nuisance a big nuisance. Maybe somebody has a better idea for my next
purchase (hopefully a lens).

   Thanks again!!