[OM] On the shores of James Bay

Subject: [OM] On the shores of James Bay
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 06:25:37 EST
Hi, Josh,

Welcome to the List!

Take George W. up on his generous offer of the 50mm lens.  You can't beat
that.  But watch that 50/1.4 on EvilBay, just for fun.  You'll be wanting one
of those, too, someday (MC with S/N over 1,100,000, am I right about that,
folks?).  A little faster (than the 1.8) and reputedly better overall. $75 to
$100, unless you get lucky.

Most Zuikoholics prefer the newer, multicoated version lenses over the
earlier silvernose singlecoated ones, but there are retro types around (with
funny names like Ag Schnozz) who seem perfectly happy with, or even seem to
PREFER, single coated lenses.  Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas... it's all one big
cornfield, and that's makes people kind of "funny", ya know? :-)

When you start bidding on the EvilBay, ask LOTS of questions, and look
CLOSELY at the photos.  For example, why are there filters on those lenses
you listed?  To attempt to hide the fact that they are early SC/silvernoses,
mebbe?.  Or to hide scratched front elements?  John Hudson's advice is good.
Inquire about dust, fungus, scratches, etc., if the description doesn't
clearly state something about ALL that.  Exterior cosmetics are just that:
cosmetics, which MAY give a clue to the overall condition of the lens
elements, and how the lens was cared for in general.  But be aware that an
otherwise beautiful lens may still be a fungus farm inside, or have a totally
scratched-up front element that's not obvious in the ad photo (speaking from
one experience, here).  I, for one, won't bid on or even inquire about a lens
that is pictured with the lenscap on.  That just makes me wonder what the
seller is hiding.  And if I'm not satisfied with the answers to any of my
questions, I just move on.  There'll be another one for sale before long.  Be
patient.  There is a lot of gear showing up, as folks sell "Dad's old
camera", or dump their perfectly good 35mm gear for digital "convenience".

Follow this list for about six months or so and you'll have a pretty good
list of which lenses are popular and preferred in any given focal length, or
range (wide angle, "normal", portrait, tele, macro, etc.).

A good "sleeper" (sometimes overlooked, under-rated, good buy) short
tele/portrait lens is the 135/2.8.  It's widely available, reasonably priced,
and you'll read nice comments about it here from time to time.

Anybody else have suggestions for Josh re: recommended & affordable "first"
lenses?

Rich

P.S. Don't get caught up in bidding wars.  Use a snipe program.  Snipe Low &
Snipe Often.

P.P.S.  Don't know about anybody else, but it made my day to read of a 15
year old taking up with OMs, and then to read George's offer of a lens.  Tip
o' the hat to ya, George!